Monday, April 2, 2012

My Easter wreath

As promised I used my pastel green spray painted March wreath as a base for my Easter wreath. I had a lot of trouble trying to decide what to do with this one. I saw so many pretty ideas on Pintrest with Easter eggs and bunnies and whatnot but I really want to keep mine focused on Christ. No I am not condemning you if you did one of those adorable bunny wreaths, and yes you can still be saved and have a bunny wreath. Lately, however, I have noticed my sons peering over my shoulder with every little task I do and getting excited about what I get excited about...If I am going to throw all my energy, work, and time into something, and my kids are going to mimic all my habits, I want them to see Christ as the foundation of everything.

In fact while doing this project I was painting and singing "hosanna, hosanna, hosanna in the highest..." and sure enough I heard the sweetest little echo behind me singing. Sweet Julian. Goodness gracious I just welled up tears of joy. Wouldn't you know it he crawled up into my lap and asked "what's that?" So I told him what I was doing and I told him about why we celebrate Easter. If I made a wreath with bunnies and eggs I just don't think his focus would have been on what I was doing it would have been one the "oh! so cuuuuuuuuttte bunnies" as Julian likes to say. I'm sure there's a way to link the bunnies and eggs to Jesus being crucified and raising from the dead but I guess I'm just not that creative.

So much we (especially I) underestimate a child's ability to be interested in and pay attention to something that is not bright, shiny, or electronic. But you know what Julian and Boaz are the most interested in? What I am interested in and what I am paying attention to. You see we think they like the cell phones and computers and T.V.s because they love to come mash the buttons and take them away from us while we are using them. But could the irresistible pull to these items just be because that is what we devote our attention to the most? If I read my bible instead of watch Netflix, Julian still comes and sits in my lap and wants to read what I'm reading pictures or no pictures. So it's just my thought here that if every holiday every year I am going to focus intense attention on all my little decorating projects and my babies are going to be peering over my shoulder, why not use it as an opportunity to teach them more about their God?

That said with a re emphasis on the fact that I am not that creative, I could not find any decorations to put on my wreath to depict Easter as the holiday that Christians celebrate it for. So this is what I came up with.

I took one of my many extra wood squares from my other projects and put masking tape around it and painted chalkboard paint on the inside. Then I let it dry, took the masking tape off, and painted a light blue frame around the outside. I let that dry and then I glued it to my wreath.

Then I took my bistro chalkboard markers and wrote the bible verse that I wanted to on there:

Luke 24:5-8
5 In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 7 ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ 8 Then they remembered his words. 

And then I tied a pack of $1 pastel colored target ribbons  semi symmetrically around the wreath.

Yes I am well aware that the whole project looks like a kindergartners artwork you might find taped to a fridge, this is just what happens when I freehand stuff... Oh, and when I get all girly and just decide to tie pretty ribbon to everything. But to me it works because I am just a daughter crying out to her father "hosanna" ("help" or "save, I pray" Psalm 118:25) http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt26b8.htm#25

Our Christ has risen!!!!!!!


Prayers of joy and thanks from Alabama 

No comments:

Post a Comment