Thursday, February 16, 2012

Part 3: DIY DO for your BO



Read part 1 for the breakdown of costs and information of where to get the stuff, this is just the making of. Enjoy!

Mix:
2 Tablespoons liquid coconut oil
3/4 cup of baking soda
1 teaspoon almond extract
form into a wad like play dough and shove into empty deodorant container. Makes 2 sticks.

Viola! you're done. Oh and I used that chalkboard paint on the plastic toms container. I peeled the label off but not all the sticky goo. That is the best canvas for this paint so far. The paint worked great on it!




I made this because my husband is allergic to some fragrance that seems to be in everything. we even tried Toms deodorant and it had less but he still reacted to it. We may never know what exactly it is he is allergic to, but we know what its not-baking soda, coconut oil, and almond extract. Baking soda is all we really wanted anyway we don't want aluminum, we don't want a bunch of crazy fragrances, and we don't want to pay $5 a stick for this. I added the almond extract because I thought it would compliment the coconut oil and I like the light smell. Why didn't I use EOs? Because I didn't have any and almond extract worked great but substitute your own to make your own scent. How fun! 

My husband actually did a ton of research on coconut oil on the unrelated topic of popcorn toppings. It got a bad rap for a while as a food because of something that was later discovered to actually be a good thing so it's been overlooked in oil usages. I found many things that mention coconut oils as a strong antimicrobial agent which would be great in armpits but I havent read up on everything so don't just take my word for it, read it yourself. There's a quote on it and a link to some more info.

"Coconut oil has been used throughout Asia and the Pacific for thousands of years as both a food and a medicine. But during the low-fat diet craze of the 1980s coconut oil was black-listed because it is a saturated fat. Ironically, it turns out that coconut oil, like its Mediterranean sister, olive oil, is a healing fat. Dr. Bruce Fife is a certified nutritionist and Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine and the author of 'The Coconut Oil Miracle.'"


Oh and my husband used the deodorant tonight. He likes the ingredients but said it's a little crumbly so I might try to alter the recipe with beeswax next time but he is pretty satisfied with the product and is going to use up the rest. I just always like to start with the simplest recipes because i don't want to add unnecessary ingredients.

All right that is the end of my three part day of production I think I'll go eat some cheesecake now and watch me some Parks and Rec.

Almond scented love from Alabama!

No comments:

Post a Comment