Friday, January 20, 2012

Three random things in my fridge: string cheese, mushrooms, and chicken

When it gets towards the end of the month usually the grocery budget has ran out and I have a few random things in my fridge I need to make do with and I also need to use up so I can have a fresh start the next month. My three things this month: mozzarella string cheese, mushrooms, and chicken.

Now I do have a few other things left but the string cheese, chicken, and mushrooms are my big players in dinner. So you can use your imagination on what everything I didn't find worthy of listing is. Anyway I take it as a personal challenge to make a meal with my poor picked last for the team dinner items so here we go. This is what I did with them:



 preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

cut up how ever many mushrooms you have and arrange in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan

beat 2 eggs and place in bowl

If you have 1 cup of breadcrumbs great use that; if you don't, eyeball about 1 cup of crackers and smash crackers as small as you have the patience for. If you want to season them some more add Lawrys, Dales, or even Johnnys seasonings for those of you not from the south, and stir in seasoning to taste, I find it really doesn't need much.

dip 2 completely thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts in egg then roll in cracker/bread crumbs until coated. * The cool thing about using crushed up crackers when you are out of bread crumbs is that you can pick whatever ones you think go best with the dish. When I realized I could use smashed up crackers instead of generic silo of breadcrumbs it was life changing. Probably because I bought a bulk variety pack of gourmet crackers from Costco. They were cheaper than a tiny pack of Publix crackers and they are all wonderfully seasoned gourmet crackers that really are the crackers that keep on giving. But obviously I digress...

in a skillet over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter, oil, or whatever lipid you have and brown both sides of your breaded chicken.

place chicken on top of the mushrooms in the 9x13 pan. Peel string cheese and strategically place on top of chicken so it melts together to look like it could have been a slice of actual mozzarella cheese from a brick. cut up a couple more mushrooms and make a pretty design on the chicken out of them for presentation points. Maybe a 4 leaf clover design? Or any creative design to draw peoples attention away from the possibility that you are using your kids string cheese for dinner now.

add 3/4 cup chicken broth to pan. (I always keep chicken broth as a staple in my house but if you don't have this maybe use a chicken bullion cube and water)

bake for 30 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink anywhere.

This ends up being a really yummy and impressive dish and was made by....dun dun dun dahhh... Three random things in my fridge!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment