Tuesday, November 8, 2011

DIY Book Shelves... Clever



So I saw this idea from http://decorate.tipjunkie.com/ and I decided to take it and make it.
The directions for it on pintrest said to get decorative or ornate brackets for a cooler look but I had a hard time find them. i first went to Home Depot where once again an employee looked at me like I was crazy as I tried to explain  the brackets I needed for my "book shelves"... "No sir, they are not wood they are actual books I am trying to make into shelves"....Blank Stare.... I know now to ask for L brackets. Although home depot didn't have a ton of options just basic metal ones. So I went to Hobby Lobby to look for some more decorative ones-nothing. As much as I hate it, my go to when I can't find something is Walmart because they carry EVERYTHING. Sure enough I found some, I ultimately decided to it simple though.

Anyway you put 2 L brackets on the bottom for the base and one upside-down the other way in the middle to keep the book steady. You shouldn't damage the book, don't screw into it or anything like that, just don't put anything too heavy on it either. These are more decorations than functional, although it keeps some books off the floor for us so I think it's functional in that capacity. I also had fun selecting titles for the books. I put mine by a window near our dining table so I think they will be fun conversation pieces when guests dine with us. Although i hope they don't know too much about the books because I haven't really read Time Travel in an Einsteinian Universe or The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking although my nerdy husband has.

I plan to put one more on each side more lateral to the window than the others. better pictures so follow.
*******************************************************************************
Here are the pictures with 6 book shelves. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. With the candles lit it looks really pretty and sets such a soothing ambiance. I just need a single fresh flower for my vase.

No comments:

Post a Comment