Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Another Is this southern?

Is saying bedroom "suit" as the pronunciation of "bedroom suite" a southern thing? Until I moved to the south I have never heard so many people pronounce "suite" this way in this context. It has no class limitations on it either. i have heard rich people, low income people, white, and black people all pronounce it this way and I am baffled as to why. if you ask them what the best room is at a hotel they will correctly answer "suite"- just like you would pronounce "sweet" but as soon as they see "bedroom suite" all of a sudden it's "suit" which sounds like "soot."My husband tells me he have never heard anyone in the south say that but I cant help but notice all our friends and family down here do this.


   
Is this a southern thing? The poll is to the top right

No comments:

Post a Comment